Sewing and Garment Construction
This practical, entry level programme is designed to take you from little (or no) sewing experience to becoming proficient in using industrial machines to create complete garments. Students are taught machine handling skills, production sewing and full garment construction techniques to industry standard.
Garments manufactured include: skirts, shorts and business shirts. Included within these garments is a range of specialised piecework skills (button holes, invisible zips, jean zips, mock pockets, patch pockets, jett pockets, darts, collars, cuffs, plackets to name just a few).
This programme creates the opportunity to run your own small business from home – Sewtec offers ongoing business mentoring to support your business startup. Student loans and allowances are available, you may even be eligible for Fees-Free study in 2018 – Click here to see if you qualify.
Highlights of the course
- Practical hands-on programme designed to assist skill building and machinist competency
- Sew a variety of complete garments using fully industrial machines
- Opportunities for work experience and real-life clients
- All materials and manuals are provided
- Modern premises with modern machines
- Setting up your own business option – business plans and mentoring
- Text books, manuals, fabric supplied
- 36 weeks
- East Tamaki and New Lynn campuses
- Mon – Thurs
- Refer to the brochure for the course fee.
- Run your own home based business
Further study options