DIPLOMA (YEAR ONE) – Pattern making & INDUSTRIAL SEWING
This practical, entry level programme teaches the skills and knowledge that are directly relevant in the clothing design and manufacturing sectors.
In this exceptional programme the learners are taught the entire garment creation process from inception to construction. This includes writing garment specification sheets, developing and grading pattens, finally sewing their designs using industrial machines. Garments produced include street wear, active wear and swimwear for men, women and children. Learners will demonstrate knowledge and skills to standards recognised by the industry sector as appropriate and develop work habits and practices appropriate for further training, self-employment and employment .
Learners design and manufacture garments for their own real-life clients (meeting their individual specifications) and gain work experience. In addition learners showcase their collections to industry via the Sewtec annual fashion show and/or other various industry events. Previous students have shown at Miromoda (NZFW), Pacific Fusion Fashion and Pacific Runway (Sydney).
Student loans and allowances are available. You may be eligible for Fees-Free study in 2018 if you are a first time tertiary student or have studied less than 60 credits at level 3 (outside of school) – Click here to see if you qualify.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE COURSE:
- Pattern block development
- Pattern grading
- Toile making (checking patterns for fitting)
- Measuring the human form
- Setting up your own business – business plans, marketing and setting up a budget
- Text books, handouts, fabric, and basic pattern making tools included
- New Zealand Certificate in Apparel and Fashion Technology (Level 4)
- January and July intakes
- 42 weeks (1 year) full time
- Days Mon to Thurs (8:30am – 3:00pm)
- Allow one day self-directed study per week
- Refer to the prospectus for the course fee
- Designer (self employed) or Design Assistant
- Patternmaking Assistant
- Cutters Assistant
- Fashion Retail